Breakfast and Brunch

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Belgian Waffles

These are by far the BEST Belgian Waffles I have ever had! Every time I serve them I get rave reviews. I usually double the recipe. If I have any batter left, I cook up the waffles, cool them on a wire rack and put them in a freezer bag. They freeze beautifully and make a quick breakfast on busy mornings. I usually thaw them for a few seconds in the microwave and then pop them in the toaster to keep the outside crispy. Delicious!

Ingredients:

1 - 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons malted milk powder, optional (I always use it)
2 eggs, separated
1-3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

Also:
Blueberries or strawberries
whipped cream

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and (optional) malted milk powder. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks. Mix in milk and oil. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture, combining only until all ingredients are mixed, but still lumpy. gently fold in egg whites, being careful not to overmix. Pour about 1/4 of the batter onto a hot Belgian waffle iron. Top with 1 tablespoon chopped nuts. Bake until steaming stops. Serve hot, topped with berries and whipped cream.

Maxes 4 8-inch waffles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home